Monday 30 March 2020

Challenge 2 - FaceTime

Hello again. After your amazing efforts last week, we hope you are up for a new MG Art Club Challenge.

This week's theme is: FACETIME

With everything that is currently going on, more and more of us are staying in contact through apps and devices - FaceTime, Skype, Zoom, HouseParty etc... on our computers, laptops, tablets and phones, so we can still see and communicate with friends and family.

So this week's challenge, could revolve around portraits. 

Instead of looking at any famous painters' pictures this week, we'd thought we'd show you these portraits which we saw in the recent  Zurich Young Portrait Prize exhibition, along with what the children had to say about them. 
Some of these ideas might inspire you to create your own portrait:


Oisin (aged 3) - My Brother Fionn (pencil on paper)
"This is my baby brother Fionn who is 9 months old, sitting and laughing in his high chair, waiting for his dinner.


Azalea (Aged 4) Feather Head (crayon & feathers on paper)
"My portrait is of my Granny, She wears funny jewellery and makes me laugh!"



Callie (aged 6) My Teacher (watercolour, pencil, marker pen, jewels, glue & electric lights)
"My portrait is of my teacher. I used lots of different things to make it, like watercolours, sharpies, salt, jewels and pencils. My favourite bits are the lights and dots of colour in her hair"



Alice - aged 7 (Thread and paint on canvas)
I've made a portrait of my dad making pancakes. He cooks them always, when I say I'm hungry, and he is actually very good at it. Yummy!"


Christina (aged 6) The Moustache (pencil, colouring pencil on paper)
"Krimo is my mummy's uncle. I love his big cool moustache"


Rita (aged 8) School Girl (colouring pencil on paper)
"I drew a portrait of me going to school happily in my school uniform"


Jiaming (aged 9) - The GAP Boy (pencil on paper)
"I would like to introduce myself to the world using my pencil and the mirror"


Zhen Xing(aged 10) My Beautiful Mum (felt pen on paper)
"I painted a portrait of my mum. As long as my mother is happy, I am happy."


Faye (aged 10) - Max, My Brother (pencil paint, watercourse and paper)
"I thought Max would look nice in a portrait and he spends hours watching me do art and is always really nice about it."


Misha (age 11) My Sister Eala
"My picture is made up of photos of my sister, split up like the ingredients you use when you are cooking" 


Amy (aged 14) - S.W.A.N (pencil & collage on paper)
"My portrait is of my brother who has special needs. The swans in the background represent S.W.A.N an organisation that helps raise awareness of people with special needs."


Rachel (15)  - Teenager (paint on canvas)
" I hope that this portrait shows a typical teenager taking a selfie."


  • Which one of these portraits do you and the rest of your family like and why?
If you decided to do a portrait you could frame it inside you phone like Rose has done here. In her portrait she is having a FaceTime Call With Tahira. Around it she had add words to sum up their friendship and what they talk about.


  • Can you recognise Rose and Tahira?
We'll be back tomorrow with some more ideas about different kinds of portraits, but until then have a little practice drawing faces, trying to get the eyes in the middle and not too high up!


Draw a face shape and lightly draw some lights though it - halfway down and halfway across the middle.


 Your eyes go through the half way line.


 Now draw another line halfway between you eye line and your chin.


 Draw your nose on this line.


 Finally draw a line between your nose line and your chin.

 Draw your lips onto of this line.


 Your ears start from just above your eye line and end at the nose line - draw thesis in.


 Add your eyebrows...


 ...a nose outline.


You now have a lot of space above your eyes - use this for your hair - any style you choose!


 Rub out the light lines you drew out.


Add some more detail...I'm sure you can do a lot better than us!!

Remember: You can use anything to create your art - use any recycling, bits you find in the cupboard.

You need to send your art to:


The deadline is Friday 3rd April



No comments:

Post a Comment